Sabtu, 16 Agustus 2008

Indonesia Raya, Merdeka Merdeka


Above the clouds, Mt. Rinjani, Lombok, Indonesia 6/28/08

In a far away land where the clock reads 12 hours ahead, it is Independence Day (Merdeka) for Indonesia!

Like every country, Indonesia has its struggles and darkness, and also its successes and beauty.
Without fireworks here in Florida, I will write in celebration of Indonesia's efforts to be better and all its wonders.

This time last year was the first time I celebrated Merdeka in Indonesia. While BBQ and beer are essentials for many celebrations of 4th of July, it works a bit differently in Indonesia.

August 17, 1945 is celebrated through marching, singing, dancing, playing sports, eating, loud horns, and fireworks with schoolmates, workmates, family and often dangdut music. "Dangdut is the music of my countryyy!" I wish I could be a part of those activities today, but there will always be things I miss about Indonesia.
- My students that will be the future of Indonesia.
- My grandfather whose LOVE for Indonesia outweighs all that he dislikes about it.
- My family always with a lending hand and a gossip trail to keep me in check.
- My fellow teachers who loved to show me the food, sites and culture of Indonesia.
- Struggling musicians on the street appreciative of a listen, smile... and some change.
- Bottled water, toys, maps, and food as street intersection service.
- Beautiful beaches, mountains, hills, reefs, and monuments.
- Street food that's both delicious and cheap.
- Bahasa Indonesia.
- Jam karet ~ rubber time ;)

... and much more.



Selamat Ulang Tahun yang ke 63, Indonesia!
Selamat Merdeka!!!

3 komentar:

tiaraaa mengatakan...

Whoaa Jess.. That's so sweet! Kamu perhatian yaa sama Indonesiaaa..
Fotonya KEREN bangeet! U make me jealouse because of that pic!

hunkydory mengatakan...

Tres coooool. You should keep posting, your thoughts are really enlightening.

Febi Purnamasari mengatakan...

what a cool pose ;)